Historic Overview

Established in 1824, Canton Local Schools began as Franklin School, a log house built on what is now Faircrest Street. The Canton Local History Core Planning Team consisting of Scott Hamilton, Dave and Donna Brothers, Wendy Busnick and Teresa Purses worked with community contributors to publish a history of the Canton Local School District. The book was unveiled in August 2017 at the dedication ceremony of the new Canton South High School. Copies are available at the district administration office.

Please feel free to share your stories, articles, and pictures with us at wendy.busnick@cantonlocal.org.

 

Canton Local School District

The Canton Local School District, home of the Wildcats, is located in southern Stark County. Approximately 2,100 students are enrolled in three schools: H. R. Walker Elementary School (Preschool-Grade 4), Faircrest Memorial Middle School (Grades 5-8), and Canton South High School (Grades 9-12), which also is the hub for South Stark Career Academy. Below are the boundaries for the Canton Local School District. Canton Local has held a long tradition of pride and excellence in academics, the arts, and athletics. The district provides rich experiences for every student so that they develop their own talents and graduate ready to become innovators, community leaders and active, compassionate citizens. Students are engaged in developing the skills they will need to help them be leaders in the 21st Century economy. Our students also excel beyond the classroom. Students have a wide variety of options to participate in arts, athletics, and extracurricular/club activities and service learning. It is a combination of these experiences that will equip our students for successful futures whether they go into the military, a trade, or higher education. 

 

Canton Local District Boundaries